Thursday, March 6, 2008

Breathing - Is it really Neccessary?



Well, as most of you may know I have a peanut allergy. I thought I was doing really well with avoiding things and keeping myself safe. Until last night. Oh, what a night. I was out of town on business and started looking for some chow. There was a Panda Express conveniently located in the same plaza as where I had to be for my meeting yesterday. Ever so excited, I made a mad dash for the door, like they were giving it away for free or something. I ordered the Broccoli and Beef. I took a wild guess and figured, it should contain broccoli and hopefully some part of a cow, so we will call it beef. Obviously, this was not the case. I set down and began feverishly eating because I was starving after skipping lunch. About 5 minutes into me ripping into this, literally like a stray dog with a newly discovered can of Alpo. Then I got that no so great feeling that something was very wrong. Since I don't have this reaction very often it took me a good minute to realize what was going on. Slowly, my ability to breath was changing and I was having an alergic reation to what I could only assume was something rooted in my kryptonite ........peanuts!!!!!!! This is where it really get's fun. I am nearly 4 hours from home and had no one else with me. If I walked over to the place I had my meeting, my throat would probrably me swollen shut by then. So, I walked up to the counter of this fine establishment and in the calmest, yet near death way, I told them I think there was something with peanuts in the beef and broccoli I ate. The way awesome counter person (let's just say it's clear she was thinking about other things) said, thanks and asked me did I want something else or did I want to see a manager. I then replied, again very calmly, but slighly freaking out at this point, "No thanks". I then proceeded to let her know that I needed her to call 911 because I have a severe reaction to peanuts and in about 15 minutes I would not be able to breath. As you could imagine, her I could care less attitude, changed to....."Did she say stop breathing" attitude. The counter girl, then got her manager from a back room and explained it to him. Mind you, I am slowly losing my airway in the meantime. They got me a chair (because everyone knows sitting down heals all ailments, not), some water and watched me start to freak out by this point. Long story short and lots of epinephrine later, I am doing okay. I stayed in the hospital overnight and drove back home this morning. So, to answer my title question...breathing is highly recommended.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!SCARY glad to hear you are ok.Miss our weekly studies and looking forward to the next to start.Take care Debbie Ausen

Anonymous said...

This is not good GayBrielle. Please be more careful. You are the only GayBrielle we have. :-)

Janet

*VICKI* said...

Holy Flips! I didn't know you were allergic to peanuts, probably because I didn't cook enough so I guess there was no need to tell me....huh? Glad you're okay, it's good to know that you still know how to have a good adventure.

Anonymous said...

So, if I asked you to go to Panda Express with me, would that be a no.....
Phillip